Thursday 5 January 2017

Chronicles from Paris | Jardin des Tuileries





The Tuileries Garden (Jardin des Tuileries), located between the Place de la Concorde and the Louvre Museum, was originally commissioned by the Queen Catherine de Medici in 1564. The gardens and the Palace with the same name (destroyed in a fire in 1871) get their name from the tile (tuile, in French) workshops that stood on site previously to their construction.

In 1664, the famous gardner of King Louis XIV, André Le Nôtre (have you seen the movie A Little Chaos?) re-landscaped the gardens to the French formal style they present until today. Opened to the public in 1667, the gardens became a public park after the French revolution and currently are one of the Paris places of choice to relax and promenade, both for visitors and locals.

To seat by the pond, enjoying the sun and savoring an ice cream after the long walk from the Arc du Triomphe, was pure heaven. You can find several cafés and food stands in the gardens. In wintertime my choice goes to crepes (does Nutella crepe sounds good to you?) and in the summer to something fresher. If its not your starting point of the day, its a really cool place to rest for a while before resume your walk trough Paris.

The statuary collection displayed in the park is huge and you can see works from Maillol, Rodin or Giacometti standing alongside on the gardens grounds. If you are into cultural traveling you surely will be visiting the Louvre Museum, but if you have the time the Musée de L'Orangerie (in the south-west side of the garden) is a place to go if you love the work of Monet.

Walking towards the Louvre, eventually you reach the Place du Carrousel, where features the Arc du Triomphe du Carrousel, built to celebrate the victories of Napoleon and that is perfectly aligned with the arch at the Place d'Étoile.









Jardin des Tuileries
113 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, França

Opening Hours and Ticket Prices:

Opens between 7.00am and 7.30am, and closes between 7.30pm and 11.00pm according to season.

Free access to garden for all public.









12 comments:

  1. As many times as I have visited Paris, I have not been to these gardens. Thanks for the lovely photos and inspiration to make sure I go there the next time I am in this great city. And they're free to enter. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the Louvre many years ago and your post has made me want to go visit again!! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the gardens look beautiful! I've actually just included Paris in my list of European places I want to visit this year, so if I make it I'll have to add the gardens to my ever-growing itinerary! It seems like the perfect place to just while away a lazy afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I've been to Paris three times and didn't know this garden existed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Paris! This just gave me all the more wanderlust. Looking forward to (FINALLY) tick Paris on my road-map/travels. Love the pics of the infrastructure and beautiful gardens; plus your writing is impeccably descriptive - almost want to be there with you savoring on some icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos, and it gives me even more reason to be excited about my upcoming trip to Paris this spring. Hopefully I can stumble upon these gardens at some point during my weekend there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful garden. I can't believe I've never been there despite having visited Paris several times. I'll definitely go next time I'm there. I expect it would be wonderful in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jardins des Tuileries is one of my favourite areas of Paris, I love these gardens! They're are not only gorgeous, but they also offer amazing views of the Louvre and of course the Place de la Concorde with the Arc de Triomphe on the background. Looking forward to visiting Paris again after reading your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, beautiful photos! I've recently had the huge urge to visit Paris since I never have before. The only things on my list were the really big things like the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc but now I have to add the gardens to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I visited Paris last summer, I was staying very close. I used to randomly walk around these gardens once in a while. It is such a gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only been to Paris once but never actually visited these gardens. Will definitely have to make sure I check them out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I need to make a visit back to Paris. The last time I was there I only remember Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete

Premium Flexible Related Post Widget for Blogger – Blogspot